News & Events
Autonomous Verticle Profiler
Decolourization & Detoxification
Search by Name/Desig/Location
Search by Specializations
Cruise Reports and Data
Location: Headquarters, Goa
Publications Other than NIO
Ph.D. Hydraulics (IIT, Bombay), 1990
M.Sc. Physical Oceanography (Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kochi), 1980
B.Sc. Phys., Chem. and Maths (Madurai University), 1977
Chief Scientist (National Institute of Occeanography, Dona Paula, Goa), 2009 - till date
Scientist F (National Institute of Occeanography, Dona Paula, Goa), 2004 - 2009
Scientist EII (National Institute of Occeanography, Dona Paula, Goa), 1998 - 2004
Scientist EI (National Institute of Occeanography, Dona Paula, Goa), 1993 - 1998
Scientist C (National Institute of Occeanography, Dona Paula, Goa), 1988 - 1993
Scientist B (National Institute of Occeanography, Dona Paula, Goa), 1983- 1988
Trainee Scientist (National Institute of Occeanography, Dona Paula, Goa), 1982 - 1983
Junior Research Fellow (National Institute of Occeanography, Dona Paula, Goa), 1980 - 1982
Physical Oceanography: coastal processes relating to winds, waves, currents and tides.
Marine environmental modelling for hydrodynamics, pollutant transport, water quality, sediment transport, thermal plume, dredge & effluent disposal and oil spill & tar ball finger-printing.
Advisories to industries on EIA related to marine facilities such as water intake, marine outfall, submarine pipelines, breakwaters, SPMs and port &harbor development and CZM activities.
Member, Committee on I.V. limits fixation for ports, constituted by Ministry of Shipping (2010 - 12)
NIO representative of Expert Appraisal Comm of MOEF for Ports, CRZ and Infrastructure, New Delhi (2009-10)
Steering Comm Member of COHERENS project, Royal Belgian Inst of Natural Sciences, Belgium (2008 - 10)
Member, Asia-Oceania Geosciences Society, Singapore (2007 -)
Organizer, SAARC Workshop on Coastal and Marine Risk Mitigation, held in Goa during March 2008.
Member, Editorial Advisory Board of ISH Journal of Hydraulic Engineering (published by Taylor & Francis).
Served as a Member in the Selection Board of Bharathidasan University, Shivaji University, IIT Kharagpur and NCESS, Trivandrum
1. Sastry, JS, Narasimhan, S and Vethamony, P (1985): Model studies on tethered float breakwater system. Proc. First Natl. Conf. on Dock and Harbour Engineering, (IIT, Bombay, 27- 29, December 1985), E273-286.
2. Vethamony, P and Sastry, JS (1986): Characteristics of wave groups in the Arabian Sea associated with cyclonic activity. Proc. Third Indian Conf. on Ocean Engg, (IIT, Bombay, 11-13, December 1986), Vol. 1, A215-224.
3. Prasannakumar, S and Vethamony, P (1987): Shoreline stability in the vicinity of Cochin harbour. Proc. Second Natl. Conf. on Dock and Harbour Engineering (IIT, Madras,11-13, December 1987), Vol.1: 317-326.
4. Vethamony, P, Chandramohan, P and Sastry, JS (1991): Estimation of wave forces on a tethered spherical float using potential flow theory. Proc. Int. Conf. on Coastal & Port Engg. in Developing Countries, Kenya, 1442-1450.
5. Vethamony, P, Sastry, JS and Narasimhan, S (1991): Motion characteristics of a tethered float in regular waves. Proc. of the First Intl. Offshore and Polar Engg. Conf (Edinburgh, UK, 14-16, Aug. 1991), Vol. III: 510-516.
6. Vethamony, P, KrishnaKumar, V, Suryanarayana, A, Antony, MK and Swamy, GN (1995): Directional wave measurements off Navinal, Gulf of Kachchh, India. (Int. Conf. on Coastal and Port Engineering in Developing Countries, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 25-29, Sep 1995). Proc. COPEDEC IV. Vol. 3:1698-1710.
7. Vethamony, P, Kumar, B.P and Sarma, YVB (1998): Attenuation of surface waves due to monsoon rains: A model study for the north Indian Ocean. Proc. of the National Conference on Current Trends in Ocean Prediction with Special Reference to Indian Seas (NPOL, Kochi, Kerala, 22-23, Dec 1998), 76-79.
8. Babu, MT, Vethamony, P, Suryanarayana, A and Gouveia, AD (1998): Modelling of coastal current and thermal plume dispersion - a case study off Nagapattinam, east coast of India. Proc. of the National Conference on Current Trends in Ocean Prediction with Special Reference to Indian Seas (NPOL, Kochi, Kerala, 22-23, Dec 1998), 7-10.
9. Fernandes, AA, Pednekar, S and Vethamony, P(1999): Inter-comparison between Aanderaa and Potok current meters deployed during INDEX programme; Proc. of the Third ISOPE Ocean Mining Symposium (Goa, India, 8-10, Nov 1999). Eds. Chung, JS and Sharma, R, International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers, USA, 169-176.
10. Suryanarayana, A, Babu, MT, Vethamony, P and Gouveia, AD (1999): 2-D model for pollutant dispersion at the coastal outfall off Paradip. Proc. of the Eighth National Symposium on Environment (Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam, India, 22-25, June 1999), 45-47.
11. Vethamony, P, Rao LVG, Kumar, R, Sarkar, A, Mohan, M, Sudheesh, K and Karthikeyan, SB (2000): Wave climatology of the Indian Ocean derived from altimetry and wave model. Proc. of Fifth Pacific Ocean Remote Sensing Conference (Goa, India, 5-8, December 2000), 1: 301-304.
12. Vethamony, P and Babu, MT (2001): EIA modelling for CZM applications - Part 1. In Training manual of Summer school on environmental impact assessment and management of coastal zone: an integrated approach (Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Versova, Mumbai, 7-27, August 2001), 84-94.
13. Babu, MT and Vethamony, P (2001): EIA modelling for coastal zone management - Part 2. In Training manual of Summer school on environmental impact assessment and management of coastal zone: an integrated approach (Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Versova, Mumbai, 7-27, August 2001), 95-108.
14. Vethamony, P, Kumar, BP and Sudheesh, K (2001): Directional waves simulated for a severe cyclone and a typical monsoon season in the north Indian Ocean. Proc. of the Inaugural International Conference on Port and Maritime R & D and Technology (Singapore, 29-31 October 2001, Eds. Shankar, N.J, Cheong, T.A and Pengzhi, L), Vol. 1: 217-221.
15. Babu M. T., V. Kesava Das and P. Vethamony(2004): BOD - DO modelling for water quality analysis around a waste water outfall off Kochi, southwest coast of India (Abstract, pp 266-272). International workshop on marine pollution and ecotoxicology, NIO, Goa, 25-26 February 2004.
16. Sudheesh K, Vethamony P, Babu MT and Jayakumar S: Assessment of wave modeling results with buoy altimeter deep water waves for a summer monsoon; Proc. of INCHOE 2004, Vol. I, pp 184 - 192.
17. V M Aboobacker, P Vethamony and K Sudheesh (2005): Wave characteristics off Paradip during monsoons as evident from measurements and modelling. Submitted to National workshop on coastal processes, NPOL, Kochi, to be held during 6-7, October 2005.
18. MT Babu and P Vethamony (2005): Hydrodynamic features in the Gulf of Kachchh, a macro-tidal regime. Submitted to National workshop on coastal processes, NPOL, Kochi, to be held during 6-7, October 2005.
19. PK Dinesh Kumar, V Sanil Kumar, P Vethamony, MT Babu and R Sajeev (2005): Coastal oceanographic studies off Tuticorin to set up seawater intake and outfall facilities for naphtha fired power station. Submitted to National workshop on coastal processes, NPOL, Kochi, to be held during 6-7, October 2005.
20. P. Vethamony, M.T. Babu, G.S. Reddy, K. Sudheesh, E. Desa, M. D. Zingde (2007): Estimation of carrying capacity of the Gulf of Kachchh, west coast of India in relation to petroleum hydrocarbon through oil spill modeling (MTEC-2007, Singapore). Proc., pp. 505 -511.
21. M.D. Rajagopal, P.Vethamony, D. Illangovan, S. Jayakumar, K. Sudheesh and K.S.R. Murty (2007): Dredging of sand from a creek adjacent to a sand-spit for reclamation: its impact on spit stability and coastal zone (MTEC-2007, Singapore). Proc. , pp. 463-469.
22. K. Sudheesh, M.T. Babu, R. Manimurali, S. Jayakumar and P. Vethamony (2007): Estimation of the great Indian Ocean tsunami arrival times from model simulation and comparison with measured tides (AOGS 2007, Bangkok).
23. P. Vethamony, MT. Babu, K. Sudheesh and E. Desa (2007): Role of Coastal Processes in Pollutant Transport in The Gulf of Kachchh (AOGS 2007, Bangkok).
24. P. Vethamony, V.M. Aboobacker, H.B. Menon and P.S. Pednekar (2007): Interaction of ‘seas’ generated by sea breeze superimposed on pre-existing swells: a case study (WISE 2007, Australia).
25. P. Vethamony, V. Sanilkumar, K. Ashokkumar and Balakrishnan Nair T.M (2007). Wave-data availability, forecast initiatives and research activities for deep water applications in the north Indian ocean (GLOBWAVE Workshop, 2007, Ifremer, France).
26. R.ManiMurali, ShakuntalaEkka, P.Vethamony and D.Ilangovan (2007). Landuse/landcover studies of areas in and around Paradip port, east coast of India. Fourth Indian National Conference on Harbour and Ocean Engineering, 12-14, Dec. 2007, at NITK, Surathkal, India.
27. M.T. Babu, Vethamony P. (2007): Modelling Accidental Oil Spill Scenarios in the Gulf of Kuchchh, west coast of India, ICCE 2007, Kuwait, 18-20 Nov 2007.
28. Babu M.T., Vethamony P., Deepthi M., K.K. Balachandran, V. Kesavadas (2008): Pollutant Dispersal in the Coasta waters off Kochi, west coast of India (AOGS 2008, Busan).
29. Vethamony P., Deepthi M., Analia M., P. Shirodkar, Babu M.T.(2008) : How Does the Nearshore Flow Balance the Water Quality in the Zuari Estuary, Goa, India ? (AOGS 2008, Busan).
30. NagenderNath B., Ramaswamy V., Vethamony P., D. Ilangovan (2008) : Role of Tidal Currents in Defining the Geochemical Variability of Suspended Sediment in the Macro-tidal Gulf of Kachchh, India (AOGS 2008, Busan).
31. Pavel TKALICH, Vethamony P., Babu M.T, RajeevanPokratat (2009). Seasonal sea level variability and anomalies in the Singapore Strait. Proc. of International Conf. in Ocean Eng, IIT Madras, Chennai, India, 1-5 Feb. 2009.
32. Babu, M.T., Vethamony, P., Le Dinh Mau and Bui Hong Long (2009): Erosion at Cuadai of Thu Bon River at Hoi An, Vietnam coast; South China sea: measurements and model simulations, AOGS 6th Annual General Meeting 11-15 Aug 2009, Singapore.
33. Vethamony, P., PavelTkalich and Babu, M.T. (2009): Trends and Variations in Mean Sea Level in the Singapore Strait from Long-Term Tide Gauge Data, AOGS 6th Annual General Meeting 11-15 Aug 2009, Singapore.
34. R.ManiMurali, K.R.Divyalaxmi, Shyama Narayanan, Rohankumar, P.Vethamony and A.Unnikrishnan Estimation of inundation areas at Cochin, South west coast of India due to global climate change and natural disasters , AOGS 2009, 11-15 Aug,2009, Singapore.
35. R.ManiMurali, V.Kesavadas, P.Vethamony, Inter-annual shoreline changes of Gahirmathacoast,Orissa, at Workshop on Deltas: Coastal Vulnerability and Management, Dec7-11, 2009, IOM, Anna University, Chennai, India
36. Vethamony, P and Babu, M.T. (2010): Physical processes in the Gulf of Kachchh: a review, Proceedings of National Conference on coastal processes, resources and management, 05-07 Feb 2010, Thiruvananthapuram.
37. Manu P John, Samiksha. V, Rashmi. R, V. M. Aboobacker and Vethamony, P. (2010): Influence of Southern Indian ocean swells on the wave characteristics off Goa , Proceedings of National Conference on coastal processes, resources and management, 05-07 Feb 2010, Thiruvananthapuram.
38. Rashmi. R, Aboobacker. V.M, Manu P John and Vethamony, P. (2010) : Dominance of wind seas over swells along the West coast of India during fair weather season, Proceedings of National Conference on coastal processes, resources and management, 05-07 Feb 2010, Thiruvananthapuram.
39. R. Mani Murali, M.T. Babu, K. Sudheesh, Antonio Mascarenhas and P. Vethamony, Role of a grounded ship ‘MV River Princess’ in triggering erosion: A case study from Candolim - Sinquerim coast, Goa: National Conference on Coastal Processes, Resources and Management , CESS, Feb 5 -7, 2010, Thiruvananthapuram.
40. P.V. Shirodkar, U.K. Pradhan and P. Vethamony (2010). Impact of water quality changes on harbour environment due to port activities along the west coast of India. Proceedings of Second International Conference on Coastal Zone Engineering and Management (Arabian Coast 2010), 1-3 Nov 2010, Muscat, Oman.
41. Mani Murali. R, Rohan Kumar, Vethamony P. (2010). Taluka level environmental sensitivity index (ESI) and vulnerability mapping for oil spills: A pilot study from Goa state, India. Proceedings of Second International Conference on Coastal Zone Engineering and Management (Arabian Coast 2010), 1-3 Nov 2010, Muscat, Oman.
42. Vethamony, P., Vinod Kumar, K., Aboobacker, V.M., Saheed, P.P. (2011). Coastal circulation and surges along the central west coast of India during cyclone 'Phyan. AOGS 2011, 08- 12 August 2011, Taipei, Taiwan.
43. Rashmi.R, Vethamony, P., V. M. Aboobacker (2011). Upward momentum transfer from swells during extreme events. AOGS 2011, 08- 12 August 2011, Taipei, Taiwan.
44. Samiksha S. V., Rashmi R., Vethamony, P. (2011). Wave modelling for the Indian Ocean using WAVEWATCH III. AOGS 2011, 08- 12 August 2011, Taipei, Taiwan.
45. ManiMurali, R., DineshKumar, P.K., Sudheesh, K., Babu, M.T., Vethamony, P., Mahale, V.P., Chaubey, A.K. (2011). Coastal processes and natural disasters to placer mineral depletion along the southwest coast of India. AOGS 2011, 08- 12 August 2011, Taipei, Taiwan.
46. K. Jyoti, JayaKumar, S., V.M. Aboobacker, Vethamony, P. (2011). Wave climate off Dwarka, west coast of India from wave hindcast. AOGS 2011, 08- 12 August 2011, Taipei, Taiwan.
47. Aboobacker, V.M., Vethamony, P., Rashmi, R. (2011). Generation and propgation of Shamal swells in the Arabian Sea. AOGS 2011, 08- 12 August 2011, Taipei, Taiwan.
48. R. Mani Murali, P Vethamony and A.K. Singh (2012). Shoreline and seabed level changes along the central Orissa coast, India, EGU, 22-27 April 2012, Vienna.
49. R. Rashmi, P. Vethamony and V. M. Aboobacker (2012). Air-sea interactions during tropical cyclone in the Indian Ocean, EGU, 22-27 April 2012, Vienna.
50. S.V. Samiksha, P. Vethamony, V.M. Aboobacker and R. Rashmi (2012). Role of south Indian Ocean swells in modulating the north Indian Ocean wave climate through modelling and remote sensing, EGU, 22-27 April 2012, Vienna.
51. Vethamony, P., K. Vinod Kumar, M. Seemanth and V.M. Aboobacker. 2012. Extension of shamal winds over the Arabian Sea: numerical modelling using WRF. Asia Oceania Geo Sciences society 2012 (AOGS 2012) held at Resorts World Convention Centre, Singapore during 13 to 17 August, 2012.
52. ManiMurali, R., Ankita Sharma, Suryanarayana, A. and Vethamony, P. 2012. Mapping the Euphotic Zone Using Diffuse Attenuation Coefficient (Kd 490) of Ocean Color Data Along the Orissa Coast. Asia Oceania Geo Sciences society 2012 (AOGS 2012) held at Resorts World Convention Centre, Singapore during 13 to 17 August, 2012.
53. Vinod Kumar K, Pavel Tkalich and Vethamony, P. 2012. Atmospheric characteristics over Singapore during Vamei: a numerical study using WRF. Asia Oceania Geo Sciences society 2012 (AOGS 2012) held at Resorts World Convention Centre, Singapore during 13 to 17 August, 2012.
54. V. G. Polnikov, V. Samiksha, R. Rashmi, F. Pagarskii, Sudheesh, K. and Vethamony, P. 2012. Modification of wind-wave model WAM and its verification against buoy data in the Indian Ocean. Proceedings of the conference on Hydraulics, Water Resources, Coastal and Environmental Engineering (HYDRO 2012) held at IIT Bombay during 7 to 8 December, 2012.
55. Vethamony, P., Samiksha S. V., Rashmi R. and V. Polnikov. 2013. Wave modelling for the Indian Ocean during extreme weather events. Asia Oceania Geo Sciences society 2013 (AOGS 2013) held at Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre, Brisbane, Australia during 24 to 28 June, 2013.
56. ManiMurali, R., Pardeep Boora and Vethamony, P. 2013. Coastal sensitivity mapping of Gulf of Kachchh and Gulf of Cambay, India. Proceedings of the 7th International conference on Asian and Pacific Coasts (APAC 2013) held at Bali, Indonesia during 24 to 26 September, 2013.
57. Babu, M.T., Sudheesh, K., and Vethamony, P. 2013. Numerical modelling of ballast water dispersion in different bioregions along the west and east coast of India. Extent of transfer of alien invasive organisms in South/Southeast Asia region by shipping, International conference held at Chiang Mai, Thailand during 26 to 28 November, 2013.
58. Veerasingam, S. ; Vethamony, P. ; Venkatachalapathy, R. , 2014, Comparison of rock magnetic properties and trace metals in surface sediments from the Pichavaram (east coast of India) and Mandovi (west coast of India) estuaries, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society (AOGS) - 2014, Japan.
59. ManiMurali, R.; R.Dhiman ; JayaKumar, S.; Ilangovan, D.; Vethamony, P. , 2014, Detection of decadal shoreline changes along Dhamra and Maipura coast, Odisha , India. 19th International Association for Hydro-Environment Engineering and Research (IAHR) - APD 2014 Congress.
60. V.M. Aboobacker; P. Tkalich; S.V. Samiksha; Vethamony, P., 2014, Swell propagation in the Malacca and Singapore Straits, WISE 2014, UK.
61. Veerasingam, S; Vethamony, P.; Venkatachalapathy, R , 2014, Rapid characterization and identification of tsunami induced sediment deposits using Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy, International Conference on "A decade after the Indian Ocean Tsunami - Status and Experiences", Pondicherry, India.
62. Soumya Mohan ; Mehra, P.; Vethamony, P. ; Vijaykumar, K.; Agarwadekar, Y.; Luis, R.; Harmalkar, B. ; Devika Ghatge , 2015, High frequency sea level oscillations observed in the Mandovi estuary, central west coast of India., World Ocean Science Congress, Cochin, India.
63. Samiksha S. V ; Vethamony, P. ; Pednekar, P.S.; Sudheesh, K.; Babu, M.T., 2015, Wave energy dissipation in the mudbank region off Kerala coast, India, WISE 2015, Goa, India.
64. R. Rashmi ; Vethamony, P. , 2015, Climate change impact on winds and waves in the Indian Ocean, WISE 2015, Goa, India.
• Vethamony, P and Babu, MT (2001): EIA modelling for CZM applications - Part 1. In Training manual of Summer school on environmental impact assessment and management of coastal zone: an integrated approach (Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Versova, Mumbai, 7-27, August 2001), 84-94.
• Babu, MT and Vethamony, P (2001): EIA modelling for coastal zone management - Part 2. In Training manual of Summer school on environmental impact assessment and management of coastal zone: an integrated approach (Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Versova, Mumbai, 7-27, August 2001), 95-108.
Any other information:
• Reviewed papers for 5 national and 15 international journals and several National and International Conferences.
• Published 88 scientific papers in national & international journals and books; 64 conference proceedings / abstracts; prepared 107 scientific/ technical/ project reports.
• Project Leader for an important project, “Integrated Coastal Zone Management Plan for the Gulf of Kachchh (GoK)” funded by ICMAM / DOD; in this project, voluminous data was collected in 3 phases, covering all aspects of oceanography and modeling (65 personnel participated in this field programme). Under ICZM plan of GoK, identified various issues in GoK and suggested solutions.
• Project Leader for a major ongoing NIO institutional project, “Modelling the impacts of environmental stresses on the coastal zone”. There are 34 members in this group: Scientists & Technical staff (17) and Research Scholars & Project Students (17).
• Carried out approximately 15 R&D projects and 110 applied research projects for various Govt. agencies, PSUs and industries, dealing with coastal modelling; design parameters for coastal and offshore structures; sediment transport; water quality & ecology; coastal zone management; site selection for water intake, marine outfall, port & harbour, submarine pipelines, dredge disposal, SPMs; marine environmental impact assessment, etc.
• Initiated 5 International scientific collaborations (institutes in Singapore, Portugal, Russia, Malaysia, Qatar).
• Visited USA, Canada, Italy, China, Sri Lanka, Seychelles, Singapore, Oman, UAE, Yemen, Australia, Thailand, France, Maldives, Brazil, South Korea, Belgium, Malaysia, Taiwan, Japan, Russia and UK under different scientific programmes /conferences.
R & D projects executed (as Project Leader/ Member):
• Oceanography of the seas around India (funded by NIO and other Govt. Organisations): Member (1982-1997).
• Tethered float breakwater system to control sediment transport near tidal inlets (funded by the Salt Commissioner, Govt. of India): Project Leader (1984-87).
• Engineering analysis and design methodology for marine structures (funded by NIO): Member (1997-2002).
• Sea state with satellite inputs (P4 MSMR data utilization (funded by SAC, Ahmedabad): Member (1999-2002).
• Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM) Plan for the Gulf of Kachchh funded by ICMAM/DOD, Chennai): Project Leader (2002-2005).
• Coastal processes off Gujarat and Konkan coasts through measurements and modeling (funded by SAC, Ahmedabad): Member (2003-07)
• Ballast water control and management (funded by DG Shipping, Mumbai): Member (2003-07).
• Modelling the impacts of environmental stresses on the coastal zone (Institutional Project): Project Leader (2002-07).
• Mathematical modelling and computer simulation (Network Project, funded by CSIR through CMMACS, Bangalore): Project Leader (2004-07).
• Simulation and forecast of coastal winds (funded by INCOIS, Hyderabad): Project Leader (2006-07)
• Impact on the coastal zone due to anthropogenic pressures (Institutional Project): Project Leader (2007-12).
• Impact of natural and anthropogenic stresses on the coastal environment of India (Institutional Project): Project Leader (2012 -17).
• Establishment of a National Facility for fingerprinting of oil spills and tar balls for the identification of source (funded by DST, Govt. of India): Project Leader (2013-16).
• Awarded UKIERI (UK and India) project on “Tidal Energy Resource Assessment for Potential Indian Sites and Impact of Energy Extraction on Environments” (funded by DST), and this project will be jointly executed by Edinburgh University and CSIR-NIO, IIT Bombay and IIT Chennai (2015-2017).
• Awarded DST-RFBR (Russia and India) project on “A long-term statistical features of wind and wave fields in the Indian Ocean” (funded by DST), and this project will be jointly executed by CSIR-NIO and IAP RAS, Moscow (2015-17).
Initiated and running the following International scientific collaborations:
• Tropical Marine Science Institute (TMSI)/ National University of Singapore (NUS) and CSIR-NIO signed a MoU in Oct 2009; one of the areas of research is Ocean Dynamics, which includes remote sensing, sea level anomalies, storm surges, wave modeling and coastal circulation.
• Space & Earth Geodetic Analysis Laboratory, Portugal (SEGAL), Department of Computer Sciences, University of Beira Interior, Portugal and CSIR-NIO signed a MoU in Jan 2012; the identified joint research projects are: (a) to monitor the sea level in the Indian Ocean – aiming at complementing existing tide gauge installation by collocating one GNSS receiver in Goa, (b) to compute accurate loading models and (c) to improve the Real-Time GNSS orbits in this part of the globe.
• The Brazilian funding agency CNPq has approved the project proposal submitted by the University of Sao Paulo (USP), Brazil under the India-Brazil-South Africa (IBSA) program. CSIR-NIO, India, Oceanographic Institute, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil and Univ. of Cape Town, S. Africa are the partners. The main goal of the program is to develop a downscaling system to investigate impacts of large scale climate changes on coastal regions of the three countries using numerical modeling.
• MoU between CSIR-NIO, India and AM Obukhov Institute of Atmospheric Physics of RAS (IAPRAS), Moscow, Russia: Research on long term trends of wind and wave fields in the Indian Ocean.
• MoU between International Islamic University Malaysia and CSIR-NIO with the following objectives: Research in Marine Water Quality, Water Quality Modeling, Dispersion Modeling and Hydrodynamic Modeling.
• MoU between Environmental Studies Center, Qatar University and CSIR-NIO with the following objectives: Joint research work in marine sciences utilizing the respective resources and infrastructure, Capacity building through scientific exchanges and expertise sharing, EIA studies for coastal projects and Training in Marine sciences.
MSc, BTech and MTech dissertations completed by the students:
(i) Malhotra Ankit (BTech), IIT Kharagpur, 2005. Review of studies carried out in the Hoogly Estuary, West Bengal.
(ii) Jahfer Sharif, K.K. (MSc), CUSAT, Kerala, 2009. Numerical simulation of flow off Ratnagiri, Maharashtra.
(iii) Goyal, R. (BTech), Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad, 2010. Modeling hydrodynamics and water quality off Dwarka, Gujarat.
(iv) Haris, K. (MTech), CUSAT, Kerala, 2010. Numerical modelling of sediment dynamics off Mangalore.
(v) Vinod Kumar, K. (MSc), CUSAT, Kerala, 2010. Simulation of hydrodynamics in the central west coast of India during Cyclone Phyan.
(vi) Balaguru, B (MTech), Anna University, Chennai, 2010. Seasonal variation of eddy kinetic energy from altimeter observations.
(vii) Gupta, P.R. (BTech), IIT, Guwahati, 2010. Hydrodynamics and pollutant transport off Mumbai coastal region
(viii) Palanik Kumar K (MTech), Anna University, Chennai, 2011. Sea level and eddy kinetic energy variability in the Bay of Bengal from satellite altimetry.
(ix) Mohit Sharma (BTech), Presidency College of Engineering Kota, Rajasthan, 2011. A study on diffusion in the coastal waters off Mumbai and estimating the diffusion coefficient.
(x). Ebin, S. (MSc). School of Marine Science, Bharadhidasan University, Tamil Nadu, India (2012). Elucidating the influence of climatic variability on water quality along the Indian coastal regions.
(xi). Jerome, S (MSc). School of Marine Science, Bharadhidasan University; Tamil Nadu, India, 2012. Deciphering surface water quality of Gulf of Khambhat through observations and water quality modeling.
(xii). Saishree, A. (BSc). Pondicherry Central University, Puducherry, India, 2012. Recent shoreline changes of Puducherry coast - GIS and Remote Sensing approach
(xiii). Jerome, S. and Ebin, S. (MSc). School of Marine Science, Bharadhidasan University, Tamil Nadu; India, 2013. Dissolved oxygen saturation and seasonal water quality variation in the Mandovi estuary, west coast of India.
(xiv). Niraj. P.S (MTech), IIT Bombay, 2013. Hydrodynamic modeling during pre-monsoon, off Goa, west Coast of India.
(xv). Selvam G. (BE), Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, Thiruvananthapuram, India, 2014. Estimation of extreme and long term trends of significant wave heights in the Indian Ocean.
MSc (Engg) by Thesis:
Rupali S Patgaonkar (MSc Engg in Environmental Engg), VTU, Bangalore, 2010. Pollutant dispersion and residence time of pollutants in the Gulf of Kachchh.
(i) Prasadkumar B (presently, Professor, IIT Kharagpur): awarded in 1998 for his thesis, “Ocean wave prediction model for the Indian Seas” by the Kurukshetra University.
(ii) V.M. Aboobacker (presently, Asst. Professor at King Abdul Aziz University, Saudi Arabia): awarded in Feb 2011 for his thesis, “Wave transformation at select locations along the Indian coast through measurements, modelling and remote sensing” by the Goa University.
(iii) Grinson George (presently Scientist-E at CMFRI, Kochi): awarded in Nov 2011 for his thesis, “Fish larval transport in the coastal waters through ecological modeling” by the Goa University.
(iv) V. Suneel (presently PI of DST): awarded in Sept 2014 for his thesis, “Transport and finger-printing of tar balls deposited along the west coast of India” by the Andhra University.
(v) Renjith V.R. (presently in South Africa): submitted his Thesis,“Waste assimilative capacity studies of select regions of the west coast of India” in Feb 2015 to the Goa University.
Publications other than NIO:
List of Publications and Reports:
1. Vethamony, P, Gopalakrishna, VV and Varkey, MJ (1984): Wave spectra and statistics off Godavari during September-October 1980. Mausam, 35:199-204
2. Vethamony, P and Sastry, JS (1986): On the characteristics of multipeaked spectra of ocean surface waves. J. Inst. Engrs (India): 66(CI), 3 & 4:129-132.
3. Rajamanickam, GV, Vethamony, P and Gujar, AR (1986): Effect of waves in the redistribution of sediments along the Konkan coast. Proc. Indian Acad. Sci, (Earth Planet. Sci.), 95: 237-244.
4. Vethamony, P, Ramesh Babu, V and Rameshkumar MR (1987): Thermal structure and flow patterns around Seychelles group of Islands (Indian Ocean) during austral autumn. Indian J. Mar. Sci, 16: 179-183.
5. Sadhuram, Y, Vethamony, P, Suryanarayana, A, Swamy, GN.and Sastry, JS (1988): Heat energy exchange over a large water body under stable atmospheric conditions. Boundary-Layer Meteorology, 44: 171-180.
6. Prasanna Kumar, S, Vethamony, P and Murty, CS (1990): Wave-induced nearshore flow patterns in the vicinity of Cochin harbour, India. Ocean & Shoreline Management, 13: 111-125.
7. Vethamony, P, Chandramohan, P, Sastry, JS and Narasimhan, S (1992): Estimation of added-mass and damping coefficients of a tethered spherical float using potential flow theory. Ocean Engng., 19(5): 427-436.
8. Vethamony, P and Sastry, JS (1993): Significance of relative velocity in the estimation of drag force of a tethered spherical float. Ocean Engng., 20(4): 449-457.
9. Krishnakumar, V, Vethamony, P and Swamy, GN (1994): Preliminary investigations on transient erosion at Kalpakkam Beach, east coast of India during June 1990. Mahasagar, 27(1): 41-45.
10. Vethamony, P (1995): Wave attenuation characteristics of a tethered float system. Ocean Engng., 22(1): 111-129.
11. Vethamony, P, Krishna Kumar, V and Swamy, GN (1996): Portable floating breakwater for controlling bar formation and sediment transport near tidal inlets; J. Instn. ofEngrs(I), 76: 185-188.
12. Unnikrishnan, AS, Gouveia, AD and Vethamony, P (1999): Tidal regime in Gulf of Kutch, west coast of India, by 2D model. J. Waterway Port Coast. Ocean Eng., 125(6): 276-284.
13. Fernandes, AA, Sarma, YVB, Menon, HB and Vethamony, P (2000): Wave directional spectrum from SAR imagery. Photonirvachak, 28(1): 9-18.
14. Pankajakshan, T, Saran, AK, Gopalakrishna, VV, Vethamony, P, Araligidad, N and Bailey, R (2002): XBT fall rate in waters of extreme temperature: a case study in the Antarctic Ocean. J. Atmos. Ocean. Technol., 29(3): 391-396.
15. Babu, MT, Sarma YVB, Murty, VSN and Vethamony, P (2003): On the circulation in the Bay of Bengal during northern spring inter-monsoon (March-April 1987). Deep-Sea Res. (II: Top. Stud. Oceanogr.), 50(5): 855-865.
16. Dinesh Kumar, PK, P. Vethamony, MT Babu, K Srinivas and Tony J Thottam (2004): Oceanographic studies off Beypore port, west coast of India, to locate a dredge dumping site. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment Vol. 90, pp. 269-288.
17. P Vethamony, GS Reddy, MT Babu, E Desa and K Sudheesh (2005): Tidal eddies in a semi enclosed basin: a model study; Mar. Envtl Res, Vol. 59 (5), pp. 519-532.
18. E Desa, MD Zingde, P Vethamony, MT Babu, SN D’Souza and XN Verlekar (2005): Dissolved oxygen - a target indicator in determining health of the Gulf of Kachchh waters; Mar. Poll. Bull; Vol 50 (1) (2005), pp. 73 – 79.
19. MT Babu, P Vethamony and E Desa (2005): Modelling tide driven currents and residual eddies in the Gulf of Kachchh and their seasonal variability: a marine environmental planning perspective; Ecological Modelling, Vol. 184, pp. 299-312.
20. MT Babu, VK Das and P Vethamony (2006): BOD - DO modelling for water quality analysis of a wastewater outfall off Kochi, west coast of India - Envtl. Intl., 32, 165-173.
21. ManiMurali; R.; Vethamony; P.; Saran; A.K.; Jayakumar; S., 2006. Change detection studies in coastal zone features of Goa; India by remote sensing. Current Science, 91(6), 816-820.
22. Vethamony P; Sudeesh K; Rupali SP; Babu MT; Jayakumar S; Saran AK; Basu SK; Kumar R; Sarkar A., 2006. Wave modelling for the north Indian Ocean using MSMR analysed winds. Int. J. of Remote Sensing, 27(18), 3767-3780.
23. Patgaonkar, R.., Ilangovan D. Vethamony, P. Babu, M.T., Jayakumar S. Rajagopal, M.D 2007. Stability of a Sand Spit due to Dredging in an Adjacent Creek, Ocean Engng, 34, 638- 643.
24. Vethamony, P., Sudheesh, K., Babu, M.T., Jayakumar, S., Manimurali, R., Saran, A.K., Sharma, L.H., Rajan, B., Srivastava, M., 2007. Trajectory of an oil spill off Goa, eastern Arabian Sea: field observations and simulations, Envt. Poll., 148, 438 -444.
25. Ramaswamy, V, B. NagenderNath, P.Vethamony and D. Illangovan, 2007. Source and dispersal of suspended sediment in the macro-tidal Gulf of Kachchh, Mar. Poll. Bull, 54, 708 - 719.
26. Vethamony, P, MT Babu, MV Ramanamurty, AK Saran, Antony Joseph, K Sudheesh, Rupali SP and S Jayakumar, 2007: Thermohaline structure of an inverse estuary - Gulf of Kachchh: measurements and model simulations, Mar. Poll. Bull., 54, 697 - 707.
27. P. N. Sridhar, MM. Ali, P. Vethamony , M. T. Babu, I. V. Ramana and S. Jayakumar, 2008. Seasonal occurrence of unique sediment plume in the Bay of Bengal , EOS, Trans. Ame. Geophy Union, 89, 3, 22-23.
28. Aboobacker V.M, P. Vethamony, K. Sudheesh, Rupali, S.P, 2009. Spectral characteristics of the nearshore waves off Paradip, India during monsoon and extreme events, Natural Hazards, 49, 311-323.
29. Vethamony, P, V.M. Aboobacker , K. Sudheesh, M.T. Babu and K. Ashok Kumar, 2009. Demarcation of inland vessels' limit off Mormugao Port region, India - a pilot study for the safety of inland vessels using wave modeling, Natural Hazards, 49, 411-420.
30. P.V.Shirodkar, Analia. Mesquita, Umesh K Pradhan, XivanandVerlekar, M T. Babu, P. Vethamony, 2009. Factors controlling physico-chemical characteristics in the coastal waters off Mangalore - a multivariate approach. Environmental Research, 109, 245-257.
31. Mani Murali, R, Deepak Shrivastava and P. Vethamony (2009). Monitoring shoreline environment of Paradip, east coast of India using remote sensing, Curr. Sci, Vol. 97, No. 1, 79-84.
32. Mohandass, C., JayaKumar, S., Ramaiah, N., Vethamony, P, 2010. Dispersion and retrievability of water quality indicators during tidal cycles in coastal Salaya, Gulf of Kutchh. Environmental monitoring and Assessment, 169, 639-645.
33. Pushpadas D., Vethamony P., Sudheesh K., George S., Babu M.T., Nair T.M.B., 2010. Simulation of coastal winds along the central west coast of India using MM5 mesoscale model. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys.: 109(3-4), 91-106.
34. Vethamony P., Babu M.T., 2010, Physical processes in the Gulf of Kachchh: A review. Indian J. Geo-Mar. Sci. 39(4), 497-503.
35. Menon H.B., Sangekar N., Lotliker A., Krishnamoorthy K., Vethamony P., 2011. Aerosol optical thickness and spatial variability along coastal and offshore waters of the eastern Arabian Sea. ICES J. Mar. Sci.: 68(4), 745-750.
36. Aboobacker V.M., Vethamony P., Rashmi R., 2011. "Shamal" swells in the Arabian Sea and their influence along the west coast of India. Geophys. Res. Lett.: 38(3), 7 pp., doi: 10.1029/2010GL045736.
37. Vethamony P., Aboobacker V.M., Menon H.B, AshokKumar K., Cavaleri L., 2011. Superimposition of wind seas on pre-existing swells off Goa coast. J. Mar. Syst.: 87(1), 47-54.
38. Menon,H.B., Sangekar, N.P., Lotliker, A.A., Vethamony, P., 2011. Dynamics of chromophoric dissolved organic matter in Mandovi and Zuari estuaries - A study through in situ and satellite data. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 66(4), 545-552.
39. George, G., Vethamony, P., Sudheesh, K., Babu, M.T., 2011. Fish larval transport in a macro-tidal regime: Gulf of Kachchh, west coast of India. Fisheries Research, 110(1), 160-169.
40. Aboobacker V M, Rashmi R, Vethamony P and Menon, H.B, 2011, On the dominance of pre-existing swells over wind seas along the west coast of India, Continental Shelf Research, 31, pp 1701-1712.
41. Kumar Avinash, K. S. Jayappa, P. Vethamony, 2012. Evolution of Swarna estuary and its impact on braided islands and estuarine banks, southwest coast of India,. Environ Earth Sci., 65, 835-848.
42. Grinson George, B.Meenakumari, Mini Raman, Srinivasa Kumar, Vethamony P., Babu, M.T., X.N.Verlecar, 2012. Remotely sensed chlorophyll: a putative trophic link for explaining variability in Indian oil sardine stocks. Journal of Coastal Research, 28 (1A), 105-113.
43. Chetan A Gaonkar, S.V. Samiksha, Grinson George, V.M. Aboobacker, P. Vethamony and A.C. Anil, 2012. Numerical simulations of barnacle larval dispersion coupled with field observations on larval abundance, settlement and recruitment in a tropical monsoon influenced coastal marine environment. J.Mar. Syst., 94 (218-231).
44. Rupali S. Patgaonkar, P. Vethamony, K. S. Lokesh, M. T. Babu, 2012. Residence time of pollutants discharged in the Gulf of Kachchh, northwestern Arabian Sea, Mar. Poll. Bull, 64, 1659-1666.
45. Vinod Kumar K, V.M. Aboobacker, P.P. Saheed, P. Vethamony, 2012. Coastal circulation along the central west coast of India during cyclone Phyan: measurements and numerical simulations, Natural Hazards, 64: 259-271.
46. Samiksha; S.V; Vethamony; P.; Aboobacker; V.M.; Rashmi; R., 2012. Propagation of Atlantic Ocean swells in the north Indian Ocean: A case study. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 12(2); 3605-3615.
47. Shirodkar; P.V.; Deepthi; M.; Vethamony; P.; Mesquita; A.M.; Pradhan; U.K.; Babu; M.T.; Verlecar; X.N.; Haldankar; S.R., 2012. Tide dependent seasonal changes in water quality and assimilative capacity of anthropogenically influenced Mormugao harbour water. Indian Journal of Geo-Marine Sciences, 41(4); 314-330.
48. Tkalich; P.; Vethmony, P.; Luu; Q.H.; Babu; M.T., 2013. Sea level trend and variability in the Singapore Strait. Ocean Science, 9; 2013; 293-300.
49. Rashmi; R.; Aboobacker; V.M.; Vethamony; P.; John; M.P., 2013. Co-existence of wind seas and swells along the west coast of India during non-monsoon season. Ocean Science, 9; 281-292.
50. Aboobacker; V.M.; Vethamony; P.; Samiksha; S.V.; Rashmi; R.; Jyoti; K, 2013. Wave transformation and attenuation along the west coast of India: Measurements and numerical simulations. Coastal Engineering Journal, 55; 1 (135001-1 to21).
51. Vethamony; P.; Rashmi; R.; Samiksha; S.V.; Aboobacker; V.M., 2013. Recent studies on wind seas and swells in the Indian Ocean: a review. International Journal of Ocean and Climate Systems, 4: 1; 63-73.
52. Suneel. V, P. Vethamony, M.P. Zakaria, B.G. Naik and Prasad. K. V. S. R., 2013. Identification of sources of tar balls deposited along the Goa coast, India, using fingerprinting technique. Mar. Poll. Bull. 70, 81-89.
53. Pavel Tkalich, P.Vethamony, M.T.Babu, Paola Malanotte-Rizzoli, 2013. Storm Surges in the Singapore Strait due to winds in the South China Sea. Natural Hazards. 66, 1345-1366.
54. Mani Murali, R, M.T. Babu, Antonio Mascarenhas, Richa Choudhary, K. Sudheesh, P. Vethamony, 2013. Coastal erosion triggered by a shipwreck along the coast of Goa, India. Current Science. 105(7); 990-996
55. R. Praneeth Rahul, P.V. Shirodkar, R. Mani Murali , J. Ravindran, Satyanarayana Brahma and P. Vethamony, 2013. Response of Penaeid Prawns (Metapanaeus monoceros) to Textile Dye Industrial Effluents (TDIE): an indicator of stress". Journal of Environmental & Analytical Toxicology. 3(4); 2013; doi:10.4172/2161-0525.1000175.
56. Grinson George, DV Desai, CA Gaonkar, VM Aboobacker, P Vethamony and AC Anil, 2013. Barnacle larval transport in the Mandovi-Zuari estuarine system, central west coast of India, J. Oceanogr, 2013, 69, 451-466.
57. ManiMurali, R., Ankita Misra, Amrita.S, Vethamony, P, 2013. Coastal vulnerability assessment of Puducherry coast, India using Analytical Hierarchical Process, Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 13, 3291-3311.
58. Suneel. V, P. Vethamony, K. Vinod, Babu. M.T and Prasad, KVSR, 2013. Simulation of trajectories of tar ball transport to the Goa coast. Water, Air and Soil Pollution, 224(5), p.11, DOI 10.1007/s11270-013-1538-9.
59. Vinod Kumar, K, M. Seemanth, P. Vethamony, V.M. Aboobacker, 2014. On the spatial structure and time evolution of Shamal winds over the Arabian Sea- a case study through numerical modeling. International Journal of Climatology, 34(6), 2122–2128.
60. Aboobacker, V.M, M. Seemanth, S.V.Samiksha, K. Sudheesh, Jyoti Kerkar, P. Vethamony, 2014. Sea breeze-induced wind sea growth in the central west coast of India, Ocean Engineering 84, 20-28.
61. Renjith, V.R, Vethamony, P., Zaki Zainudin, K. Vinod Kumar, 2014. Waste assimilative capacity of coastal waters along the Mumbai mega city, West coast of India, CLEAN – Soil, Air, Water, 42(3), 295-305.
62. Samiksha S.V, Jahfer Sharif, Vethamony, P, 2014. Coastal circulation off Ratnagiri, west coast of India during monsoon seasons: a numerical model study, Indian Journal of Geo-Marine Sciences, 43(4), pp. 481-488.
63. P.K. Dinesh Kumar, R. Manimurali, M.T. Babu, K. Sudheesh, P. Vethamony & K.R. Naveen Kumar, 2014. What drives nearshore sediment transport controls on the depletion of beach placers at Manavalakurichi, Southwest Coast of India? Physical Geography, 35 (5), 411-428.
64. Bos, M., R. Fernandes, P. Vethamony, and P. Mehra, 2014. Estimating absolute sea level variations by combining GNSS and Tide gauge data, Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 43(7).
65. Misra, A., R. M. Murali, S. Sukumaran, and P. Vethamony, 2014. Seasonal variations of total suspended matter (TSM) in the Gulf of Khambhat, west coast of India, Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 43(7).
66. Murali, R. M., and P. Vethamony, 2014. Morpho-dynamic evolution of Ekakula spit of Odisha coast, India using satellite data, Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 43(7).
67. Rashmi, R., S. Samiksha, V. Polnikov, F. Pogarskii, K. Sudheesh, and P. Vethamony, 2014. Spectral analysis of wind field in the Indian Ocean, Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 43(7).
68. Samiksha, S., K. Vinodkumar, and P. Vethamony, 2014. Impact of shamal winds and swells on the coastal currents along the west coast of India, Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 43(7).
69. Soumya, M., P. Vethamony, and P. Tkalich, 2014. ENSO-induced inter-annual sea level variability in the Singapore Strait, Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 43(7).
70. Vinod, K., M. Soumya, P. Tkalich, and P. Vethamony, 2014. Ocean-atmosphere interaction during Thane cyclone: a numerical study using WRF, Indian Journal of Marine Sciences, 43(7).
71. Suneel, V, Vethamony, P, Naik, BG, K, Vinod, L, Sreenu, V, Samiksha Tai, Yunus, K, Sudheesh, 2014. Source investigation of the tar balls deposited along the Gujarat coast, India, using chemical fingerprinting and transport modeling techniques, Environmental Science & Technology, 48, 11343-11351, dx.doi.org/ 10.1021/ es5032213.
72. Ravindran J, B. Manikandan, P.V.Shirodkar, K.X.Francis, R Mani Murali and P. Vethamony, 2014. Bacterial bioluminescence response to long-term exposure to reverse osmosis treated effluents from dye industries. Canadian Journal of Microbiology, 60(10), 661-668.
73. Veerasingam, S., Vethamony, P., Mani Murali, R., and B. Fernandes, 2015. Depositional record of trace metals and degree of contamination in core sediments from the Mandovi estuarine mangrove ecosystem, west coast of India, Mar. Poll. Bull, 91, 362-367.
74. Mehra, P, S. Mohan, P. Vethamony, K. Vijaykumar, T. M. Balakrishnan Nair, Y. Agarvadekar, K. Jyoti, K. Sudheesh, R. Luis, S. Lobo, and B. Harmalkar, 2015. Coastal sea level response to the tropical cyclonic forcing in the north Indian Ocean, Ocean Science, 11, 159-173.
75. Ankita Misra, Mani Murali, R., Vethamony, P, 2015. Assessment of mangrove cover and the land-use /land-cover along the Mandovi and Zuari estuarine complex- A Principal Component Analysis and Hybrid classification approach, Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 8, 267-279.
76. Veerasingam, S., Vethamony, P., Mani Murali, R., Babu, M.T., 2015. Sources, vertical fluxes and accumulation of petroleum hydrocarbons in sediments from the Mandovi estuary, west coast of India, International Journal of Environmental Research, 9(1), 179-186.
77. Suneel V, P. Vethamony, B.G. Nayak and M.S. Krishna, 2015. Identifying the source of tar balls deposited along the beaches of Goa in 2013 and comparing with historical data collected along the West Coast of India, Sci. of the Total Environment, DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2015.04.102, pp. 313-321.
78. Naqvi, S.W.A. and CSIR-NIO Team, 2015. Understanding our seas: NIO, Goa, Curr. Sci, 108, 8, 1454-1460.
79. Renjith, V. R., Jerome, S., Ebin, S., P. Vethamony., P. Shirodkar., Zaki Zainuddin., Supriya S., 2015. Southwest monsoon influences the water quality and waste assimilative capacity in the Mandovi etuary (Goa state, India). Chemistry and Ecology, DOI:10.1080/02757540.2014.961435
80. Renjith, V. R., T. Divya David., Kamal Sarma., Grinson George., P. Shirodkar., P. Vethamony, 2015. Influence of natural and anthropogenic factors on the water quality of the coastal waters around the south Andaman in the Bay of Bengal. Natural Hazards, DOI:10.1007/s11069-015-1715-9.
81. Satyavathi, G, M C Deo, Jyoti Kerkar, P Vethamony, 2015. Projected impact of climate change on waves at Mumbai High. Maritime Engineering, Institution of Civil Engineers, London, Paper No. MAEN-2014-17.
82. Niraj, P.S, R. Balaji., P. Vethamony., 2015. Pre-monsoon hydrodynamic modeling of Goa coast, West Coast of India, ISH journal of Hydraulics Engg., doi:10.1080/09715010.2015.1017747.
83. Samiksha S. V., Polnikov V. G., Vethamony P, Rashmi R, Pogarskii F, Sudheesh K, 2015. Verification of model wave heights with long-term moored buoy data: application to wave field over the Indian Ocean, Ocean Engng (in press).
1. Sastry, JS, Vethamony, P and Swamy, GN (1991): Morphological changes at Godavari delta region due to waves, currents and the associated physical Processes. Mem. Geol. Soc. India, No. 22: 139 -151.
2. Sarkar, A, Rajkumar, Gairola, RM, Gohil, BS, Vethamony, P and Rao, LVG (1992): Ocean surface waves and winds over the north Indian Ocean from satellite altimeter - preliminary results of SAC-NIO joint project. Physical processes in the Indian Seas. Proc. First Convention, ISPSO, Ed. Swamy, GN, 173 - 177.
3. Fernandes, AA, Almeida, AM, Vaithiyanathan, R and Vethamony, P (1994): Determination of wave direction using an orbital following buoy. In Ocean Technology: Perspectives. Eds. Sushilkumar; Agadi, VV, Das, VK and Desai, BN (Symp. on Ocean Technology; National Institute of Oceanography, Goa, India, 27-29, Aug 1992). Pub. & Inf. Dir, New Delhi, India, 378-388.
4. Vethamony, P, Vaithiyanathan, R, Almeida, AM, Santanam, K, Rao, LVG, Sarkar, A, Kumar, R, Gairola, RM and Gohil, BS (1994): Geosat altimeter derived sea surface wind speeds and significant wave heights for the north Indian Ocean and their comparison with in situ data. In Ocean Technology: Perspectives. Eds. Sushilkumar, Agadi, VV, Das, VK and Desai, BN (Symp. on Ocean Technology; National Institute of Oceanography, Goa, India, 27-29, Aug 1992). Pub. & Inf. Dir, New Delhi, India, 495-506.
5. Sawkar, K, Vethamony, P, Babu, MT, Dias, C, Mesquita, A, Fernandes, B, Moses, S, Padmavati, M and Naik, S (2003): Measuring, modelling and grading the health of water bodies. In Coastal tourism, environment, and sustainable local development. (Eds. Noronha, L, Lourenco, N, Lobo-Ferreira, JP, Lleopart, A, Feoli, E, Sawkar, K and Chachadi, A., Tata Energy Research Institute, New Delhi, India), 179-210.
Consultancy Project Reports:
1. Hydrometereological studies at Rihand reservoir. Final report submitted to National Thermal Power Corporation Ltd., New Delhi, December 1983.
2. Studies on portable breakwater system to control sediment transport near tidal inlets for maintaining continuous supply of brine for saltpans. Final report submitted to Salt Commissioner, Govt. of India, September 1986.
3. Sea water quality for water injection in Heera oil field. Final report submitted to Oil and Natural Gas Commission, Mumbai, February 1987.
4. Technical consultancy report on General oceanographic conditions in the Gulf of Cambay. Final report submitted to Gujarat State Construction Corporation Ltd/ Stup consultants, Ahmedabad, November 1992.
5. Coastal oceanographic studies off Mangalore for liquid effluent discharge of JESCO plant. Interim report submitted to JESCO, June 1993.
6. Currents and tides off Navinal, near Mundra (Gulf of Kachchh). Report submitted to Adani Port Ltd, August 1993.
7. Pre-monsoon (May 1993) directional wave measurements off Navinal, near Mundra (Gulf of Kachchh). Report submitted to Adani Port Ltd, August 1993.
8. Directional wave measurements off Navinal, near Mundra, Gulf of Kachchh during southwest monsoon 1993. Report submitted to Adani Port Ltd, November 1993.
9. First report on offshore facilities and their impact on marine environment for ESSAR Refinery at Vadinar. Report submitted to ESSAR, May 1994.
10. Wave studies off Navinal, Gulf of Kutch during SW monsoon 1994. Rep submitted to Adani Port Ltd (SSP 0654).
11. Coastal oceanographic studies off Mangalore for liquid effluent discharge. Final report submitted to JESCO, New Delhi. Report No. NIO/SP–8/95, June 1995.
12. EIA for captive facilities at Pipavav, Gujarat. Report submitted to Metdist Industries Ltd, New Delhi. Report No. NIO/SP-16/95. (SSP 0693)
13.Offshore facilities at Vadinar and their impact on marine environment. Rep submitted to ESSAR Refineries Ltd. Mumbai.
14. EIA for construction of bulk cargo berths 5A and 6A at Mormugao harbour. Report submitted to MPT, Goa. Report No. NIO/CON-2/95. (CNP 0705)
15. Oceanographic environmental studies off Positra in the Gulf of Kutch for the construction of phosphate terminal. Report submitted to TCL, Mumbai. Report No. NIO/SP-20/95 NIO/SP-22/95. (SSP 0717)
16. Current and tide measurements for the design of a pipeline from Jamnagar to Kandla Route, Gujarat. Report submitted to RPL, Mumbai. Report No. NIO/SP-25/96. (SSP 0782)
17. Rapid environmental impact assessment for the proposed marine facilities for the Eastern India Refinery Project at Paradip, Orissa. Report submitted to IOC, N.Delhi. Report No. NIO/SP–3/97. (SSP 0815)
18. Current measurements for the proposed all weather ports at Redi, Vijayadurg and Agargule, Maharashtra. Report submitted to Commissioner, Water Transport, Maharashtra. Report No. NIO/SP–11/97. (SSP 0796)
19. Studies on Directional waves off Mormugao Port. Rep submitted to MML, Goa. Report No. NIO/SP-17/97 (SSP 0754)
20. Rapid EIA for the proposed outfall point off Kim river mouth at Bharuch, Gujarat. Report submitted to BIRLA Cellulose Ltd, Baroda. Report No. NIO/SP-18/97. (SSP 0830)
21. Rapid EIA for the LNG Project including LNG input terminal, Regasification & 2000 MW power Plant at Ennore. Report submitted to TIDCO, Chennai. Report No. NIO/SP-23/97. (SSP 0855)
22. Rapid EIA for the proposed marine facilities for Mangalore Power Plant at Padubidri, Mangalore. Report submitted to Mangalore Power Company. Report No. NIO/SP-28/97. (SSP 0848)
23. Oceanographic studies for the proposed Simhadri Thermal Power plant, Vizag. Rep No. NIO/SP-8/98. (SSP 0889)
24. Comprehensive EIA for the LNG Project including LNG input terminal, Regasification & 2000 MW power Plant at Ennore. Report submitted to TIDCO, Chennai. Report No. NIO/SP-10/98. (SSP 0855)
25. Comprehensive EIA for the proposed marine facilities for the EIRP at Paradip. Report submitted to IOC, N.Delhi. Report No. NIO/SP-7/98. (SSP 0783)
26. Comprehensive environmental impact assessment for proposed facilities for Mangalore power plant at Padubidri, Karnataka. Report No. NIO/SP-17/98. (SSP 0850)
27. Marine modelling studies for offshore facilities for PPN power plant off Pillaiperumalnallur, Tamil Nadu. Report No. NIO/CON-3/98, November 1998.
28. Rapid EIA for the proposed marine facilities for the LNG terminal at Kochi. Report No. NIO/SP-23/98. (SSP 0936)
29. Marine modelling studies for offshore facilities for PPN power plant off pillaiperumalnallur TN -Supplementary studies related to design wave height ,environmental conditions used in manoenvoring studies and optinum discharge intake position. Report submitted to KIER International Ltd., UK. Report No. NIO/CON-2/1999. (CNP 0967)
30. KIL-Marine modelling studies for offshore facilities Pillaiperunalnallur - supplimentary studies. Report submitted to KIER International Ltd., UK. Report No. NIO/CON-2/99. (CNP 0989)
31. Comprehensive EIA of Jetty approach off Nagore. Report submitted to Madras Refineries Ltd., Chennai, Report No.NIO/SP-9/99. (SSP 0922)
32. Comprehensive EIA of marine activities for the proposed fertilizer plant at Paradip Orissa. Report submitted to Oswal Chemicals & Fertilizers Limited, New Delhi, NIO/SP-12/99.
33. Rapid Marine environmental impact assessment for SPM/COT and sub-sea pipeline off Jatipadar. Report submitted to Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd., Mumbai, Report No NIO/SP-17/99. (SSP 1083)
34. Rapid marine environmental impact assessment of proposed marine facilities for naphtha fired power station at Kilarasadi, Tuticorin. Report No. NIO/SP-15/99. (SSP 1053)
35. Geotechnical bathymetry, water quality and sand spit stability studies of Jatadharmohan creek, Paradip, Orissa. Report submitted to Indian Oil Corp. Ltd, New Delhi. Report No. NIO/SP-23/99. (SSP 1006)
36. Evaluation of suitability of dredge disposal site off Mul-Dwarka. Report submitted to Gujarat Ambuja Cements Ltd., Mumbai. Report No. NIO/SP-7/2000. (SSP 114)
37. Thermal re-circulation studies for the modified discharge location. Report submitted to KIER International Ltd., Chennai. Report No. NIO/CON - 3/2000. (CNP 1185)
38. Oceanographic studies off Beypore Port to locate a marine dumping site. Report submitted to Moblie Peeves Company Ltd., Chennai., Report No. NIO/SP- 7/2001. (SSP 1127)
39. Marine emergency management plan for 330MW combined cycle power plant at Pillaiperumalnallur, Nagapattanam, TN. Report submitted to PPN Power Generating Company Ltd., Chennai. Report No. NIO/CON - 2/2001. (CNP 1134)
40. Carrying capacity of the southern Gulf of Kachchh with respect to accidental petroleum hydrocarbon discharges at SPMs. Report submitted to BORL, Mumbai. Report No. NIO/CON-4/01. (CNP 0986)
41. Comprehensive Marine EIA for SPM/COT and sub-sea pipe line off Jhatipadar, Orissa. Report submitted to BPCL, Mumbai. Report No. NIO/SP- 32/2000. (SSP 1083)
42. Oil spill modelling and shoreline mapping at Dabhol. Report submitted to Dabhol Power Company, Dabhol.(SSP 1238)
43. Confirmation of diffuser design and estimation of secondary dilution off Pydibeemavaram. Report submitted to Hydroair Tectonics (SPD), Mumbai. Report No. NIO/CON-1/02. (CNP 1291)
44. Sediment transport studies off PPN power plant, Pillaiperumalnallur. Report submitted to Marubeni Corporation, Chennai. Report No. NIO/SP-1/02. (SSP 1272)
45. Marine emergency management plan for crude oil & POL jetty of CPCL at Nagapattinam Port. Report submitted to CPCL, Chennai. Report No. NIO/CON-2/02 (CNP 1289).
46. Marine environment management strategies for the Gulf of Kachchh. Report submitted to Forest and Environment Department, Govt. of Gujarat, Gandhinagar. Report No. NIO/SP–13/2003. (SSP 1088)
47. Wave hindcasting, wave tranquility and sediment transport studies for a fishing harbour at Sohar, Sultanate of Oman. Report submitted to DHI India, New Delhi. Report No. NIO/CON -1/2003, October 2002. (CNP 1344)
48. Confirmation of diffuser design and estimation of secondary dilution off Luhara point, Dahej, Gujarat, Report No. NIO/CON -2/2003. (CNP 1377 )
49. Oil spill risk analysis and contingency plan for BPCL, Mumbai. Report submitted to Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited, Mumbai. Report No. NIO/CON – 4/2003, March 2003. (CNP 1382)
50. Engineering design and environmental data for a SPM terminal and submarine offshore pipeline off Mundra, Gulf of Kachchh. Report submitted to Gujarat Adani Port Ltd. Report No. NIO/SP-11/2003. (SSP 1385)
51. Wave hindcast and sediment transport model studies off Kayankulam and Kochi off Kerala. Report submitted to STUP consultants, Mumbai, Report No. NIO/SP -25/2003. (SSP 1411)
52. Metocean study for a single point mooring (SPM) and related facilities of KRL, Kochi. Report submitted to Kochi Refineries Limited, Ambalamugal, Kerala. Report No. NIO/SP-12/2004, September 2004. (SSP 1527)
53. Simulation and analysis of current, waves and surges for SBM and pipeline corridor at Vadinar, Gulf of Kachchh. Report submitted to Essar Oil Limited, Mumbai. Report No. NIO/SP-36/2004, December 2004. (SSP 1562)
54. Environmental monitoring for construction of Bridge at Ribandar Causeway and Reclamation for Approach road. Report submitted to GSIDC, Goa. Report No. NIO/SP-19/2004. (SSP 1523)
55. Environmental monitoring for dredging and reclamation for Berths 5A and 6A at Mormugoa Harbour. Report submitted to MPT, Goa. Report No. NIO/SP- 32/2004. (SSP 1421)
56. Rapid EIA for desiltation of Panaji Bank of River Mandovi from New Patto Bridge up to the bus stop opposite Food and Drug Control Office. Report submitted to GSIDC, Goa. Report No. NIO/SP- 24/2004. (SSP 1542)
57. Monitoring of Environmental parameters in Kandla Port area. Rep submitted to KPT. Report No. NIO/SP- 27/2004.
58. Studies on suitability of a proposed site for Maintenance Dredge spoils disposal off Hazira. . Report submitted to Hazira Port Private Limited, HPPL, Surat. Report No. NIO/SP-06/2005. (SSP 1580)
59. Evaluation of sand spit stability due to phase II dredging at Jatadharmohan creek, Paradip, Orissa, report submitted to IOCL Ltd, December 2005. Report No. NIO/SP-33/2005. (SSP 1654)
60. Siltation studies for a proposed shipyard off Jageshwar, Bharuch, Gujarat, report submitted to ABG-Shipyard Ltd., Mumbai, March 2006. Report No. NIO/SP- 10/2006. (SSP 1693)
61. Oil Spill risk assessment and preparation of oil spill contingency plan for Paradip Port- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd., Bhubaneshwar - NIO/CON-2/2006. (CNP 1647)
62. Engineering Design & Environmental Data off Kakinada, report submitted to GSPC Ltd., Gandhinagar. NIO/SP-15/2006. (SSP 1643)
63. Mathematical model studies on the hydrodynamics and sediment transport off Hazira, Gujarat. Report submitted to Gujarat Maritime Board, Gandhi Nagar, Gujarat. Report No. NIO/SP-28/2006. (SSP1548)
64. Oceanographic & Environmental Data For Single Point Mooring Terminals and submarine Offshore Pipelines Off Jamnagar, Gulf Of Kachchh, Gujarat, Leighton Contractors (India) Pvt Ltd, Mumbai. NIO/SP-32/2006. (SSP 1764)
65. Modelling of coastal processes dredge disposal transport shoreline changed and wave tranquility off Hazira. Report submitted to Hazira Port Pvt. Ltd., Ahmedabad. Report No. NIO/SP-29/2003. (SSP-1359)
66. Mathematical model studies on effect of dredging on the hydrodynamics, sediment transport, and the fate of dredge disposal in waters of Gautami-Godavari river, AP, Rep submitted to RIL. Report No.NIO/SP-28/2004(SSP 1509)
67. Mathematical model and studies on the hydrodynamics and sediment transport off Hazira, Gujarat, Gujarat Maritime Board, Gandhinagar. Report No. NIO/SP-08/2006. (SSP 1548)
68. Modelling hydrodynamic dredge plume dispersal and oil spill movement off Ras Lssa coast Yemen in the vivinity of proposed Jetty outfall and intake facilities. Report submitted to HMR Env'tl Engg.Consultants,Sultanate of Oman. Report No. NIO/SP-1/2007 (CNP 1775)
69. Demarcation of inland vessel’s limit (IVL) off Mormugao Port region including Panaji – a pilot study, draft report submitted to Directorate General of Shipping, Mumbai. Report No. NIO/SP-45/2007. (SSP 1621)
70. Comprehensive EIA studies for the proposed power plants, north of Krishnapatnam, Nellore Dist. A.P – Recirculation studies. Report to be submitted to Andhra Pradesh Power Development Co. Ltd, Hyderabad. Report No. NIO/SP-58/2007. (SSP 1818)
71. Probable locations for SPM and associated pipeline route in the Gulf of Kachchh- a conceptual study based on available information, Cairn Energy India Pty Limited. Report No. NIO/CON-3/2007. (CNP 1912)
72. Modelling of flow regime and sedimentation processes due to the proposed Port facilities in Kakinada Bay, Kakinada Seaports Ltd. Kakinada. Report No. NIO/SP-22/2007. (SSP 1788)
73. Numerical model studies for identification of treated effluent outfall structures off Yanam. Report submitted to Gujarat State Petroleum Corpn. Ltd., Gujarat. Report No. NIO/SP-36/2007. (SSP 1850)
74. Identification of a suitable location for a marine outfall off Mangalore and REIA for the combined effluent release from Mangalore Special Economic Zone, MSEZ Ltd, Mangalore. Rep No. NIO/SP-03/2008. (SSP 1897)
75. Modelling the Impact on the coast of Muscat, Oman, due to Coastal Tourism Development Project “The Jewel of Muscat”. Report submitted to HMR Engineering consultants, Muscat, Oman. Report No. NIO/CON-4/2008. (CNP 1779)
76. Rapid EIA for the construction of a minor Jetty at the Panaji. Report submitted to GSIDC Ltd, Panaji. Report No.NIO/SP-15/2008. (SSP 1957)
NIO, Dona Paula-Goa, 403 004, India. EPABX:+91(0)832-2450450; Fax:+91(0)832-2450602, -2450603; e-mail:email@example.com