Director of NIO is advised by Research Council on all aspects of research and development and is comprised of eminent scientists, technologists, academicians as well as planners from different areas of specialisation
The Functions of the Research Council are:
- Advise on the formulation of R&D programmes and future directions of activities of the laboratory keeping in view the Five Year Plans, national priorities and opportunity areas.
- Suggest networking with other CSIR National Laboratories on programmes of mutual interest.
- Review R & D activities and research programmes and advise on future directions
- Advise on fostering linkages between the laboratory, industry and potential clients
- Constitute panel of experts for selection of Scientific (Group IV) staff
- Any other functions as may be assigned by Director General/ Governing Body